Friday, October 16, 2009

Day 6

Lots of ups and downs already today, but I've spent time in prayer and in God's word. After thanking each of you for your continued prayers, I ask you to really keep lifting up sweet Daughter, as she is showing signs of struggle at this point. Now, I feel like I should get to the point for today. What's the next step on this journey of forgiveness, Lord?

FALL IN LOVE
You read it right. Don't think that's a typo. I really think this will help us. Did God tell me to sign my divorce papers, go to the nearest singles joint, and find a man who really loves me? Is the best way to grieve a failed marriage and forgive Husband for not loving me like Christ loves the church to find a good rebound? No. I have not gone completely off the deep end, so stay with me.

"Those who know my commands and obey them are the ones who love me, and my Father will love those who love me. I will love them and will show myself to them." John 14:21
-Have you ever seen one of those couples that is sickeningly affectionate in public? Borderline inappropriate maybe? He has his arm around her waist, her hand is tucked into his back pocket, and they are walking in a crooked line because they can't take their eyes off each other to pay attention to where they are going? Is that what love looks like? Gee, I hope not, but that's not the point. The point is that two things are happening in their relationship.

#1- They are enthralled, infatuated with each other. Remember where their eyes were looking? Gazing at the other person. Admiring their beauty, and giving knowing looks back and forth as if having an entire conversation without saying a word.

#2- They are, probably unintentionally, showing the world who they belong to. No need for them to shout at the top of their lungs, "I am crazy about her." Or, "I'd do anything for him." No need for the "I love my wife" t-shirt there. Just their actions and the ways they relate to each other allow passersby to understand that they are together. And that little else matters to them at that moment.

No, I'm not telling you that I'm hoping to find someone who loves me that way. And- heaven forbid that picture ever describe my teenage daughter walking through the mall with her boyfriend! I already have someone who loves me unconditionally, and so does she. And the best way to show that I love my Jesus in return is stated in the verse above. Learn His commands and obey them. Then we receive more love from the Father, and we have a clearer picture of Jesus.

I'm sure those of you who have ever been married for more than a year have heard, and probably repeated to yourself, that love is not a feeling, it's a choice. I agree with that whole heartedly. But- I'm here to tell you that in my relationship with God, when I make the choice to love Him by knowing Him and obeying Him, the feeling eventually follows. That's because it is impossible to have Jesus "show himself" to you without ending up weak-in-the-knees amazed with who He is.

"I have obeyed my Father's commands, and I remain in His love. In the same way, if you obey my commands, you will remain in my love. I have told you these things so that you can have the same joy I have and so that your joy will be the fullest possible joy." John 15:8
-- Here's hoping your weekend is filled with that joy!

1 comment:

  1. I needed that reminder - to fall in love with Him. To yearn, thirst, hunger, and pursue Him with abandon. To let the world see my love for Him.

    This is the second time tonight I was reminded of this. We had a middle school girls event at the church called "How Sweet It Is" and the message was about How sweet it is to: 1) be loved by God 2) love others as we love ourselves and 3) to serve others. We talked about how we are to let our light so shine so that others may see our good deeds and praise our Father in heaven ... not that others will see the good things I am doing - but that they will praise Him. I was reminded of truly how sweet it is to be loved by Him. That He loves me with an unconditional love! He delights in me and rejoices over me with singing! (Zeph 3:17)

    thx

    ReplyDelete